" /> What is a Working Holiday Visa? | Jet Setter Show

What is a Working Holiday Visa?

June 13th, 2014 by Jason Hartman | Comments Off on What is a Working Holiday Visa?

medium_465554992International travel can be confusing because the laws are constantly changing. It can be especially difficult to get from country to country. If you’re planning a luxury vacation for a week, a month, or longer, you’re going to want to get the laws straight.

And, while many vacation for fun, people like Jason Hartman often take working holidays because they combine the fun of travel with the necessity of business. For many, combining the two allows an extended stay in a country that isn’t one’s own while making money.

If this sounds like you, a working holiday visa may be just the ticket. Working holiday visas are typically for people between the ages of 18 and 30 and allow short term jobs in other countries to be performed by anyone. Initiated by Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and Canada, most other countries also participate in the program. The United States, however, does not participate in the program. As a result, citizens are sometimes excluded from working holiday programs. Other countries issue a finite number of visas and some have travel allowances and restrictions. Working holiday visas can also allow individuals to attend a university in the country they’re visiting.


The specific application process for the working holiday visa will depend upon your home country and your host country. Universally though, you’ll be required to have a valid passport and (if you’re living in another country at the time of application) a valid resident permit.

While you’re looking for work, you’ll also need to have a bit of savings (real estate is a great way to build this up) to cover expenses while you search for work. Also make sure that you’ve got a police certificate, proof of health insurance, and your application for a working holiday visa.

Next, get in touch with the embassy or consulate for the country or countries you’re looking at to get more information about specific requirements. Plan on the application process and processing to take a bit of time—several months is not uncommon.

US Citizens

As of August 2012, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and Ireland began offering holiday visa programs to US citizens. Requirements vary by nation, but the age limits listed above typically apply.

Make sure, as with general requirements, that you contact the embassy to gain further knowledge of the application process.

If travel is your dream, find a way to make it happen! There are tons of opportunities out there—now go get them!

(photo credit: looking4poetry via photopin cc)

* Read more from Jetsetter

HGTV’s Smart Home is Pretty Smart 

The Changing Face of Privacy on Facebook

The Jetsetter Team

Tags: , , , ,