Top 10 Things to do in TampaAugust 29th, 2012 by The JetSetter Team | Comments Off on Top 10 Things to do in Tampa
Much has been written in snarky terms about the high concentration of strip clubs in the Tampa, Florida, area and that, with the Republican National Convention being held there this week, allegedly conservative conventioneers were sure to make surreptitious use of the bevy of pole dancers. At Jetsetter Show though, Jason Hartman would like to remind you
that there are other activities in the city besides putting on a hat and wig and skulking through the shadows down the neon avenues.
In fact, the following are the top ten area entries from Tripadvisor.com.
1. Tampa Theatre: This renovated 1926 movie house is on the National Register of Historical Places. The dulcet tones of the Wurlitzer organ still entertains moviegoers before each show.
2. Lettuce Lake Park: This park offers shady, wooden walkways, manatees, and all the rest of what you’ve come to expect from natural Florida.
3. Big Cat Rescue: Big cats need love too. Indulge your yen to see lions and tigers at home in their natural habitat (almost).
4. David A. Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts: Lots of entertainers and nary a bronze pole in sight. Can you say classy?
5. Sunshine Skyway Bridge: Drive, walk, or dance across this magnificent traffic way spanning Tampa Bay. The view is incredible, especially if a cruise ship happens to be passing beneath you at just the right moment.
6. Bayshore Boulevard: Every city with water has one. Located on the bay right in downtown Tampa, the Boulevard is perfect for jogging, walking, sightseeing, or plain old people-watching.
7. Busch Gardens: Believe it or not, Orlando doesn’t have a copyright on all the theme parks in the state. Busch Gardens brings just as much fun but with fewer crowds and, best of all, you don’t have to drive across the state to get there.
8. Tampa Electric Manatee Viewing Center: If one of your major life goals is to see a manatee swimming in its natural habitat, the odds are good that you’ll find one (or 50) here.
9. Tampa Bay History Center: There’s a lot of history in the area: cattle barons, Indian tribes, cigar factories, sponge divers, and more.
10. Serengeti Night at Busch Gardens: We’ve already mentioned Busch Gardens
once, but the truth is many of the animals don’t move around much during the day. It’s too hot. Head there for nighttime activities like this if you want to see lions do more than snooze.
And if you happened to miss the Republican National Convention, don’t worry. It really wasn’t that exciting anyway and certainly not the best part about visiting the Tampa area. (Top image: Flickr | Roller Coaster Philosophy)
The Jetsetter Show Team