" /> You CAN Move to Cuba, if You've Lost Your Mind | Jet Setter Show

You CAN Move to Cuba, if You've Lost Your Mind

August 10th, 2012 by The JetSetter Team | Comments Off on You CAN Move to Cuba, if You've Lost Your Mind

if you have money, is a particularly arduous process, especially if you’re an American.

To spend any length of time in Cuba you must either find a job, secure a work permit and temporary residency and/or marry a Cuban. And that doesn’t even take into account the paperwork.

Having said that, if you still want to expatriate, here’s how to go about it.

Beg the US State Department
To say relations between the United States and Cuba are strained is putting it mildly. If you’re not a politician, educator, medical professional, or journalist, you’re going to need a special license from the US Treasury Department Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). There are several forms that must be filled out. You might as well go ahead and get your passport up to date as well because you’re going to need it. Keep in mind foreign nationals can’t own land in Cuba. You’ll have to rent.

Learn to Live Without Plastic
Thanks once again to those strained relations, American credit cards are not accepted in Cuba, because US banks won’t (can’t according to

US law) pay Cuban merchants. Traveler’s checks and good old cash are fine.

How’s Your Spanish?
English may the language of much of the world but it won’t get you far in Cuba. Outside of hotels and embassies, there is not much English to be found. Brush up on your Spanish, at least enough to get by the first few months while you’re getting used to your new home.

Last but not least, don’t forget about the government’s secret police. They have a tendency to throw “suspicious” characters into prison or put them up against a wall and shoot them. Due process? There’s no such thing in a fascist state. Keep that in mind while you’re extolling the virtues of Castro’s grand plan (Top image: Flickr | flippinyank).

The Jetsetter Show Team

Tags: , , , , , , ,